I want to change to SAS!

I plan to switch from using SPSS to SAS & Stata because SPSS is too expensive & because many people are using it, it becomes the standard statistical software at least in medical & health data analysis in Malaysia. When demand is too high, the price will go up. Even though I teach SPSS, I think it is high time for me to change to SAS to give alternative to SPSS.

SPSS BI Malaysia…if you read this…start lowering your price…..offer us unlimited license for complete module please. Please don’t use that hardkey to get the license. It is too tedious.

SAS…..if you read this, please contact me. I want to conduct a workshop using medical & health data. You need to sponsor the participants tho’…. :)

Is there a free software? Yes! It is R. Is it easy? No…not at all. :(

Update: Please read this :D

11 Comments

1. Pahat January 27, 2009 at 6:20 pm #

I thaught SPSS is much much cheaper than SAS. Anyway, SAS is wonderfull statiscal software and more freindly as compare to the previous version and only handfull people really mastered it.

2. Jamal Rahman January 27, 2009 at 7:11 pm #

Yup…SAS programming is challenging but very powerful especially its robust data handling. Anyway…bro Pahat…..bagi alamat. Nak pos baju Jeram Perahu…

3. Pahat January 28, 2009 at 2:08 pm #

Drag & Drop amongst the wonderfull features!!! the address posted.

4. Siew Ling February 3, 2009 at 9:02 am #

Hi there, i am Siew Ling, an Academic Program Consultant with SAS Malaysia. How do i contact you all? From which University and Faculty?

Please contact me at siewling.tan@sas.com when you read my posting.

5. Jamal Rahman February 3, 2009 at 12:32 pm #

Ms Tan, you know me already :D I am Dr Jamal from IIUM :D

6. Siew Ling February 3, 2009 at 4:02 pm #

Oh… Dr. Jamal. Good to hear from you. How can i help you from here? Please drop me an email on your thought. We will discuss in details.

7. Jamal Rahman February 4, 2009 at 8:22 am #

I’ll contact you with my proposal for a training of health data analysis using SAS. I hope to provide alternative to SPSS.

8. Julian Schlager February 5, 2009 at 6:52 pm #

If you’re familiar with SPSS, and want to avoid the overhead of learning a new package. Why not use PSPP? PSPP is the free version of SPSS. Unlike R or SAS, it looks and feels exactly like SPSS. Unlike SPSS it doesn’t cost anything, and doesn’t “expire” if you don’t pay your license fee.

Check it out at http://gnu.org/software/pspp

9. Jamal Rahman February 6, 2009 at 6:23 am #

Thanks so much Julian….I am downloading it now….will surely test it & if it is OK I’ll use it for sure & my students will definitely love this!

10. Jamal Rahman February 8, 2009 at 7:52 am #

Sigh….I got problem trying to download PSPP….is there any other place to download not using the file hosting like rapidshare?

11. Amir Ahmad March 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm #

Mal, Amir here (Ex-Kulim Express). Have you try using PRISM? I am using PRISM currently. So far, as compared to SPSS or Minitab this more user friendly especially for those who are forst timer on stats.