Should I ban YM?

Received complaints from few HODs about staff spending too many times chatting & not performing as expected. Now….should I ban YM from my office network?

I think I want to do that eventhough I know they can still use meebo.

Some even stream music or radio. That use a lot of bandwidth.

What say you?

9 Comments

1. hasmanizam January 2, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

I’m thinking of the same thing boss. But at the same time ym helps me a lot. I just can simply give instruction especially to Azam & Hamzah thru ym plus if I want to leave any messege to them. But I think the pros & cons are 50/50. Depends on how can we control our staff. Tapi ramai yg nampak ‘asyik’ jek ngan ym nih….:)

2. Jamal Rahman January 2, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

Kita ban aje YM. Kita boleh our offiical IM to communicate but must make sure its stability first.

3. ND January 2, 2009 at 5:11 pm #

Maybe YM will affect your staff performance but not 100%. But for me, YM is not the main cause of underperforming staff. It is distracting but pokok pangkal is your staff punya attitude jugak. And yes, sometimes YM help us a lot to communicate to find solutions, opinions & knowledge between friends. Depends on how you use it.

Like myself, I use YM to communicate with my vendors & clients. Jimat kos. That’s me la kan..hehehe..

Sometimes, we can’t control people. They will always find a way to do what they want. Google Talk pun ada, they can migrate to that also. Hehehe.

4. Jamal Rahman January 2, 2009 at 5:14 pm #

Yup. That’s true. If people know how to prioritise than its OK. Being a government institution, of course we got many staff with the typical gomen servant mentality. Let them use Google Talk or Skype because those are less attractive & has fewer functions than YM or Microsoft Messenger.

5. ND January 2, 2009 at 5:55 pm #

Ya btol…it’s your call then..hehe..

6. remi January 3, 2009 at 9:13 pm #

emm…ive seen this scenario in one of the oldest university :-). they even started to use their own IM so that they too can limit the number of staff chatting with their peers outside. Did that work? i cant answer.

but what i have seen so far, the bos is still using ym to communicate with the staffs at other rooms :-) . I think ym is an efficient tool to communicate with each other. At least you can save the bos order and instruction easily.

the staff must know their boundaries like what ND said. like in that uni, i dont think the staff can spend a lot of time chit chatting. They have abundance of work and their superior will keep nagging on them. In other words, round round la selalu. Mesti takut punya…hahaha.

tapi sekali sekala, bagus jugak ada ym nih. at least it will keep u accompany. kalo dah buat keje sejam dua, kaco anak orang pun best jugak. takdalah ngantuk sangat…ekekkekeke.

lastly, KPI kan ada, sapa tak achieve KPI, block lah ym port dia…kekekkekeke.

just my 500 dong…:-)

7. Jamal Rahman January 3, 2009 at 10:03 pm #

No wonder boss tak boleh buat keje lain… :D If the office use YM because wanna communicate with staff, better use other IM.

But its OK…now waiting for the university to deliver the thin client. Then staff can’t install anything without permission….. How about that? ;)

8. remi January 5, 2009 at 10:40 am #

ehhehe…thin client. woohoo….byk nya duit investing on thin client. i still think, thumbdrive could be useful in that situation…hahaha.

paling tidak pun, yang akan jadi culprit is the guy who handle the server. Dialah yang tukang download torrent etc.

ps://internet is all about self-discipline :-)

9. Jamal Rahman January 5, 2009 at 10:59 am #

Yelar, tapi lebih senang monitor few people yg jaga server tu dari semua staff yg guna PC kat office.